Read the Top Reasons why RPG programmers choose WebSmart for iSeries Web Development & Modernization.
- Rapidly Develop New Web Applications with Little or No Web Experience
- Short Learning Curve - Technology RPG programmers understand
- Leverage Existing RPG Code and Skills
- Multi-Platform Options: ILE CGI or PHP
- Sophisticated or Simple Apps: Web Services (SOA), Ajax, email, XLS, maps
- Proven Development Solution
- Manage and Control Enterprise Development
- Reduces CPU Dependencies on System i
- BCD's Integrated Products: Free Nexus Portal, Clover, SmartCharts & Catapult
- WebSmart is Backed by an Industry Leader
- World Class Support
- Free Trials - Buy with confidence
Rapidly Develop New Web Applications With Little or No Web Experience
WebSmart makes iSeries Web development for RPG or web programmers easy and you will see immediate results. WebSmart includes many
productivity features for rapidly developing Web applications:
- Using customizable templates and wizards you can create fully functional applications within minutes after install without having to know anything about HTML or CGI programming.
- Optionally use WebSmart's repository-based presentation and business logic rules, associated with your database, to promote rapid development and increase programmer productivity.
- WebSmart's powerful scripting language which was created specifically for RPG programmers to create web applications encapsulates many functions that would require considerable research and hand coding to enable you to rapidly create robust web applications.
- Real time code editing (both of HTML and the scripting language) speeds development and helps eliminate coding errors. Syntax checker provides instant error reporting and joblogs and compile listing are also downloaded directly into the IDE.
- Powerful HTML editing tools include seamless interface to professional editors such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage for WYSIWYG editing. Comprehensive text-based editing tools make it easy for you to learn and code HTML.
- Interactive Debugger to step through your code in the IDE.
Watch a short video to see how you can use WebSmart program templates to create web applications in minutes.
Short Learning Curve - Technology RPG programmers understand
WebSmart is technology iSeries technicians truly understand. It was built expressly for iSeries Web applications and RPG programmers, that is why people understand and succeed with WebSmart right away. 95% of WebSmart programmers are RPG programmers and most people don't attend WebSmart training courses.
Anyone, including non-programmers, can create a full maintenance application within a few minutes that is fully functional and has a nice appearance.
We provide the following tools to shorten the learning curve:
- 3 chapter tutorial in our extensive documentation.
- 130+ examples to view and download the code; Every WebSmart programmers favorite page.
- Extensive F1 help on every WebSmart function from the IDE plus color-coding, on the fly editing, prototyping and a syntax checker.
- HTML wizards
- Unlimited Tech Support for trials and clients on maintenance.
Leverage Existing RPG Code and Skills
WebSmart was built with RPG programmers in mind and eases their transition to web development. WebSmart also includes the following features to make it easy to integrate existing RPG code to leverage your investment:
- Functions to call back-end RPG or COBOL programs or modules.
- The flexibility to create your own customized functions from existing RPG code.
If you are looking to convert existing interactive green screen programs to web pages our Presto product is what you need.
Multi-Platform Options: ILE CGI or PHP
WebSmart comes in 2 editions, ILE CGI or PHP. WebSmart offers you flexibility in your development approach and needs for today and the future. Both editions are fully supported by BCD and both have their advantages:
- WebSmart ILE helps you produce native System i-centric CGI web applications that access DB2400, MS SQL and MySql databases. The apps run in the native Apache HTTP web server shipped with every System i. WebSmart ILE offers tight integration to the System i and RPG programmers will learn it very quickly.
- WebSmart ILE ships with templates allowing you to connect to Non-iSeries based databases like MySQL and MSSQL using JDBC.
- WebSmart PHP helps you produce PHP applications that run on multiple platforms (System i, Windows, Linux or Unix) and access databases such as DB2/400, MySQL and others. WebSmart PHP's advantages are it's multi-platform options, non-proprietary PHP code and large open source community.
Sophisticated or Simple Apps: Web Services (SOA), Ajax, email, XLS, maps and more
WebSmart lets you extend or develop new web applications for any industry or application and is ideal for both simple or sophisticated applications.
You can create B2B, B2C and e-Commerce sites including on-line ordering, inquiries and maintenance programs, and implement browser-based or SOA (web services) applications.
- WebSmart includes built in functions for send and receiving Web Services which entails creating or parsing XML files.
- Full support of AJAX so you can build rich web content applications that behave like Windows apps.
- Send emails in HTML format with attachments.
- Integrate WebSmart applications with maps like Google or Flashmaps.
Proven Development Solution
Over 1,750 organizations and 1,500,000+ end-users depend on applications created with WebSmart including users from Starbucks (9,500+ global stores), CompUSA, Goodyear, Universal Music (70+ countries), Hickory Farms, Formica, Kawasaki, Mallinckrodt, City, County and State Governments, and more. Our extensive list of customers has helped WebSmart accomplish the following:
Manage and Control Enterprise Development
Whether you are a single developer, or part of a larger team, WebSmart provides you the tools to effectively develop, test and manage your web development projects.
Comprehensive project and change management features are included with WebSmart and 3rd party solutions such as Turnover and Affinity also support WebSmart.
- Centralized control over the location of definitions which are saved on the IFS.
- Check in and out your work which locks definitions, preventing multiple developers from working on the same definition at the same time.
- Managing development environments is an easy process such as migrating from one development environment to another.
- Perform mass compiles, mass import or mass export of definitions.
- Automated logging tracks all access and operations on definitions providing a complete and accurate audit trail of your development efforts.
- Archive definitions and source compare different archived versions. Rolling back to earlier code bases of your application is very simple by restoring archived versions.
The iSeries is the ideal platform for serving iSeries web applications as it is completely secured. We have written an eleven page White paper entitled: “Why Web Applications Deployed
with WebSmart Are Totally Secure and Safe for iSeries Web Serving”. This White Paper helps iSeries IT staffs fully understand the issues of security and how WebSmart addresses them, here are some of the highlights:
- Sending secure information back and forth from client to server using SSL encryption.
- Saving secure information on the client using WebSmart encrypt, decrypt and cookie functions.
- Saving secure information on the server using encryption.
- Prohibiting unauthorized access to the web server.
- Prohibiting unauthorized access to OS/400 objects (programs, files, data areas, libraries, etc.)
- Preventing DOS (denial of service) or DDOS (distributed denial of service) attacks such as ping floods or HTTP request floods.
Reduces CPU dependencies on iSeries - AS/400
WebSmart automatically creates CGI/RPGLE programs that are 100% compiled programs and along with the WebSmart architecture
make it the fastest way to serve up Web applications on your iSeries. Some organizations saved from $20K to $200K in upgrades because of the low resources and CPU demands of WebSmart programs. Here are some of the reasons how
WebSmart optimizes performance and makes page delivery as fast and efficient as possible:
- Programs run 100% in the Batch sub-system, no interactive resources used.
- Utilize existing hardware without needing to do expensive hardware upgrades.
- CGI jobs run and end very quickly, normally one to two seconds, then leaving the job in a ‘sleep mode’ until the next request, using virtually zero CPU in between requests.
- The WebSmart Server is a passive server that does not utilize any resources to run and includes special performance optimization code.
- Named Activation groups are used automatically which reduces CPU by storing commonly used functions in memory by holding all your functions.
- No Websphere. Websphere is not needed to run WebSmart applications.
Go Further with BCD's Integrated Products
WebSmart integrates with BCD's iSeries Web query, Web portal, Flash graphs and automated report distribution solutions:
Clover allows end users and developers to quickly and easily design real-time Web based iSeries reports and queries. It is not simply an add-on product to WebSmart. Moving back and forth between the core features of WebSmart and the reporting features of Clover is seamless. And all of the tools that are a core part of the WebSmart IDE are available to developers using Clover. With Clover you can actually write reports with little or no coding at all! Clover's own templates drive the report creation Wizards making it easy to design reports with breaks, sub totals, graphs, Excel spreadsheets and more. You can also relate many files (for example, join a header to a detail file) and specify just how you want the data sorted, filtered, and reported.
Nexus Portal: WebSmart includes a Free paid-up license for the Award Winning Nexus Portal with ECM - Enterprise Content Management component. Nexus Portal provides a controlled and secured framework that includes portals, for deploying WebSmart or non-WebSmart apps. The Nexus Portal includes robust security, Executive Dashboards with KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) & ECM. ECM provides online indexing, searching and organization for reports and documents (with or without overlays) distributed from Catapult or published from other sources.
SmartCharts lets you design and integrate real-time animated 2D and 3D bar charts, pie charts, executive dashboards, gauges and KPIs with drill downs for clear visual representation of your data and business metrics.
Catapult provides unattended report and document distribution in a variety of ways including Web based ECM (Enterprise Content Management). You can create front end prompt screens with WebSmart which
execute your reports and then call Catapult functions to distribute and convert your iSeries reports.
WebSmart is backed by an Industry Leader
You can comfortably put your trust in BCD and our 20 years of experience in developing leading edge development tools, and our 30+ years as an industry leader. Thousands of customers have enjoyed great success with our technology, support and ongoing development efforts.
To date, we have successfully installed over 4,000 Web and iSeries development tools from the smallest to the largest organizations. We are committed to the iSeries and provide the best web development technology and solutions available in the iSeries marketplace.
Expect and Get World Class Support
Our quality of support is ranked in the 98th percentile in customer satisfaction surveys. When you use BCD development tools, you have a direct line to our support group to answer any questions, to offer advice and to take ownership of whatever issue you have until you are satisfied. We gladly include unlimited support calls when you are a BCD customer.
In support calls we can use desktop sharing tools with you, which provides a unique support service at no extra charge to you. It enables us to either view or work directly with your workstation in order to solve or diagnose problems, instruct you on product features, or provide advice for the most effective way to use our products.
We encourage our clients and prospects to call whenever we can be of help. We close 15,000+ help desk calls a year across our product line. We are here to support you.
Free Trials - Buy with confidence
Download a no obligation free trial of WebSmart and buy with confidence.